6.02.2009

Beef Enchiladas

This is a Taste of Home recipe that another blogger posted (betterislittle.com). After trying it tonight, we all loved it. A different take on our usual chicken enchiladas and the sauce was a cinch.



1 lb. ground beef
1 c. cottage cheese
1 can (4 1/4 oz.) chopped ripe olives, drained (optional - I didn't use)
2 T. parsley
1/2 t. garlic powder
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
8 flour tortillas (6 inches)
1 c. (4 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese

Brown hamburger in skillet. Drain. Add parsley, garlic powder, salt & pepper. Then add cottage cheese and olives.

Place about 1/3 c. filling on each tortilla; roll up. Place tortillas, seam side down, in an ungreased 9x13 baking dish. Pour sauce (see below for enchilada sauce) over the tortillas. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese and return to oven for 5 min. or until cheese melts.

Enchilada Sauce:
1 med. onion, chopped (I just used dried)
1/2 med. green pepper, chopped (I didn't use)
1 T. vegetable oil (I used olive oil)
1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce (I had a 16 oz. can and could have used a little more)
1 (4 oz.) can chopped green chilies (I didn't use)
2 t. chili powder
1/2 t. garlic powder
1 c. (4 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese

For sauce, saute the onion & green pepper in oil until tender in another. Add tomato sauce, green chilies, chili powder and garlic powder.

With not using the green pepper or green chilies the sauce was real close to the one I have bought in the past for the chicken enchiladas. So simple too!

I guess I overfilled the tortillas cause I only had enough for 7 tortillas. Guess that happens when you don't follow the recipe! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment