8.01.2009

BBQ Meatballs or Chicken

I grew up eating my mom's BBQ meatballs and have always loved the sauce. When I saw this sauce on heavenlyhomemakers.com site with chicken I knew it sounded familiar. Sure enough it was almost identical except my mom's recipe used the brown sugar. After trying it over chicken in the crockpot (I used chicken tenderloins & honey for the sweetener) and loving it; how could I not share this? Enjoy!



BBQ Sauce:
1 c. catsup
2 T. minced onion
1/4 t. garlic powder
1 t. liquid smoke
1 T. honey, molasses, sucanat
or 3/4 c. brown sugar (this is how much my moms recipe calls for)

Mix ingredients in small sauce pan. Simmer for a few minutes until flavors are blended. Note: Double this if you are using for meatballs.

Crockpot BBQ Chicken:
Place pieces of skinless chicken in crockpot, dump sauce over the top and let it slowly cook for a few hours.

BBQ Meatballs:
3 lb. hamburger
1 can evaporated milk
2 c. oats
2 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
2 eggs
1 c. chopped onion
1/2 t. garlic powder
2 t. chili powder

Mix everything but hamburger first. Then mix well into hamburger. Shape into balls and place in single layer in baking dish (a cookie scoop makes this go quickly). Should make 40-50 meatballs. Mix BBQ sauce and pour over meatballs.

Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Note: This can be frozen before cooking and I have used this sauce over a different meatloaf recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment