4 large or 6 medium chicken breasts (2.5 to 3 lbs)
1 large onion, diced ( or dry onion flakes)
2-3 c. barbecue sauce of your choice
6 sandwich buns or hot freshly cooked rice, for serving
1. Rinse boneless chicken breasts & thaw; or trim fat and skin from chicken. (If using split chicken breast, remove bone as well.)
2. Layer chicken, onions, and sauce into a 9x13-inch baking dish or into a slow cooker.
Oven directions (best for BBQ chicken sandwiches!)
1. Cover dish with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 60 minutes. Uncover and bake up to 30 minutes longer, or until sauce is thick.
2. Use two forks to shred the meat. Spread on sandwich buns and serve hot.
Slow cooker directions (best for BBQ chicken with rice!):
1. Cook on HIGH for 4 hours or on LOW for 7-8 hours.
2. Depending on the kind of sauce you used, the sauce could be rather thin by the end, so I like to vent the lid slightly for the last hour of the cooking time.
3. Serve chicken and sauce over hot rice. (too much sauce for sandwiches)
Using a good BBQ sauce will make it or break it! We liked 1/2 Trader Joes BBQ Sauce & 1/2 Stubbs BBQ Sauce (we like a little kick with a little sweet).
You can find the original recipe here: http://www.tammysrecipes.com/easy_bbq_chicken_sandwiches_oven_slow_cooker
Posted by Lynch Family at 12:51 PM